Truex Jr. Dominates Stage 1 of Overton’s 301

(Photo Credit: SaJorden Miller / The SkyBoat)

 Written by Brett Korpi
Loudon, New Hampshire – When the green flag dropped at New Hampshire Motor Speedway the Overton’s 301 immediately had controversy. Jimmie Johnson’s #48 Lowe’s Chevrolet drew a starting violation as he beat Coors Light Pole winner Martin Truex Jr. to the start-finish line. Johnson’s vehicle was assessed a pass-through penalty enforced on the next lap.
That misstep by Johnson was all Truex needed in stage 1. The #78 Wix Filters Toyota dominated the field jumping out to a 6.5-second lead over Matt Kenseth in the #20 DEWALT Flexvolt Chevrolet in the first 35-laps before the competition caution took place.

While Truex leads the pack, Kyle Larson worked his way up the standings coming all the way from the back. Larson, in the #42 Target Chevrolet, passed car after car working his way into the top-5.

Just after the green flag on lap-41, the #77 5-Hour Energy Extra Strength Toyota driven by Eric Jones slammed into the wall on turn-3, slowing down the field once again with a caution.

When the action picked back up on lap-50, Larson continued his surge into the top-3 passing Kenseth and Jamies McMurray. McMurray, in the #1 GearWrench Chevrolet, could not hold off the surge Larson as he tried to squeeze him in on the turn-2.

With Larson charging, Truex continued to pull away from the field. #18 Kyle Busch in the Interstate Batteries Toyota attempted to make a run but was unable to pull within under 1-second of the leader.

On lap-67 the #72 Chevrolet driven by Cole Whitt suffered a mechanical failure that leaked oil on the track the length of turn-1 to turn-2 causing the third caution of the day.

Action picked backup on lap-73. Where, Truex once again pulled away from the competition holding off teammates McMurray and Larson to gain the stage-1 victory.

Truex, lead all 75-laps of stage-1 to capture his 14th stage of the season in resounding fashion.

Share This Story:

Related Content